Mountain Lion Hunting Season Status
North Subunit Season 1: OPEN – 0 harvested
South Subunit Season 1: OPEN – 2 harvested (1 male, 1 female)
Season 1 dates for North and South Subunits are January 2 through February 29, 2020, except the season for either subunit shall immediately close if the annual harvest limit (4) or female sublimit (2) has been reached for that subunit.
2020 season information
- The 2020 mountain lion season 1 will take place from Jan. 2-Feb. 29, 2020. The use of dogs will not be permitted during this season.
- Applications for lottery permits shall be accepted from 1:00 p.m. CST on the Wednesday following Labor Day through Sept. 27 prior to each open season. Mail applications must be received in the Commission’s Lincoln headquarters office by 5 p.m. CST, and internet applications must be received by 11:59 p.m. CST. It shall be unlawful to submit more than one application per calendar year for a mountain lion permit.
- A harvest season will be held only for the Pine Ridge area, which has an established population that can sustain a harvest.
- The season will allow up to eight mountain lions to be harvested, with up to four of those being females.
- There are two subunits in the Pine Ridge: a north subunit (north of U.S. Hwy. 20) and a south subunit (south of U.S. Hwy. 20). Subunits are designed to distribute harvest throughout the Pine Ridge. Up to four mountain lions, and no more than two females, may be harvested in each subunit. Public lands are open in both subunits.
- Once four mountain lions, or two females, have been harvested in a subunit, the season in that subunit will close.
- If the limits and/or sub-limits have not been reached in a subunit by Feb. 28, then a limited number (equal to the animals remaining in the limit) of permittees will be allowed to hunt with the aid of dogs in an auxiliary season. Permits for the auxiliary season will be granted to unsuccessful permittees from the initial season via a lottery. If the auxiliary season occurs, it will take place from March 15-31, or until the harvest limit is met.
Information for 2020 permit holders
- Hunters must check that the season is open each day before hunting by calling the 1-800# provided on the permit or checking for announcements on this page.
- Each permittee may only hunt in the Pine Ridge subunit (North or South) listed on their permit
- The dates for Season 1 are Jan. 2 – Feb. 29; however, the season will end immediately if the harvest limit of four total mountain lions or two females has been met in that subunit.
- Bag limit for each permit is one mountain lion of either sex
- Shooting hours are sunrise to sunset
- Hunting with the aid of dogs is not allowed during Season 1 (Jan. 1 – Feb. 29, 2020)
- A harvested mountain lion must be reported to Game and Parks within 8-hours of recovering the carcass, and checked within 24-hours. Proof of gender must remain naturally attached until the animal is tagged by the Commission.
- If the harvest limit for a subunit has not been met by the end of Season 1, an Auxiliary Season that allows the use of dogs will be held for that subunit during March 15 – 31, 2020.
- Unsuccessful permittees from Season 1 may apply to convert their permit to an Auxiliary Season permit for the same subunit.
- Applications to convert permits must be received by March 6th at 5 p.m. CST or 11:59pm CST if by internet.
- A number of Auxiliary permits equal to the number of mountain lions remaining in the harvest limit for that subunit will be drawn (e.g., 2 permits will be converted if 2 mountain lions remain in the limit at the end of Season 1 for that subunit)
- Baiting and/or trapping is prohibited
- It is illegal to harvest a mountain lion with a spotted coat (kitten) or a mountain lion accompanying another mountain lion (likely a family group)
- Collared or ear tagged mountain lions may be harvested
For more information on mountain lions in Nebraska including sightings, research, management information and more, visit the mountain lion species page.