The 2019 Nebraska mountain lion auxiliary season is open in the north subunit only. The status for the north subunit is:
OPEN (0 males harvested, 0 females harvested)
Season dates for the auxiliary season in the north subunit are March 15-31, 2019. The subunit shall close immediately if the female sublimit of two lions is reached. For more specific auxiliary season information, view regulations at the link below.
*REMINDER – This season is only valid for the hunters who drew auxiliary season permits.*
2019 season information
- The 2019 mountain lion season 1 will take place from Jan. 1-Feb. 28, 2019. The use of dogs will not be permitted during this season.
- A harvest season will be held only for the Pine Ridge area, which has an established population that can sustain a harvest.
- The season will allow up to eight mountain lions to be harvested, with up to four of those being females.
- There are two sub-units in the Pine Ridge: a north sub-unit (north of U.S. Hwy. 20) and a south sub-unit (south of U.S. Hwy. 20). Sub-units are designed to distribute harvest throughout the Pine Ridge. Up to four mountain lions, and no more than two females, may be harvested in each sub-unit. Public lands are closed in the north sub-unit to focus harvest onto private land in Sioux and Sheridan counties, where the majority of landowner input has occurred. The south sub-unit includes public lands for expanded hunting opportunities.
- Once four mountain lions, or two females, have been harvested in a sub-unit, the season in that sub-unit will close.
- If the limits and/or sub-limits have not been reached in a sub-unit by Feb. 28, then a limited number (equal to the animals remaining in the limit) of permittees will be allowed to hunt with the aid of dogs in an auxiliary season. Permits for the auxiliary season will be granted to unsuccessful permittees from the initial season via a lottery. If the auxiliary season occurs, it will take place from March 15-31, or until the harvest limit is met.
Information for 2019 permit holders
- Hunters must check that the season is open each day before hunting by calling the 1-800# provided on the permit or checking for announcements on this page.
- Each permittee may only hunt in the Pine Ridge subunit (North or South) listed on their permit
- The dates for Season 1 are Jan 1 – Feb 28; however, the season will end immediately if the harvest limit of four total mountain lions or two females has been met in that subunit.
- Bag limit for each permit is one mountain lion of either sex
- Shooting hours are 30 minutes before sunrise to 30 minutes following sunset
- Hunting with the aid of dogs is not allowed during Season 1 (January 1 – February 28, 2019)
- A harvested mountain lion must be reported to Game and Parks within 8-hours of recovering the carcass, and checked within 24-hours.
- If the harvest limit for a subunit has not been met by the end of Season 1, an Auxiliary Season that allows the use of dogs will be held for that subunit during March 15 – 31, 2019.
- Unsuccessful permittees from Season 1 may apply to convert their permit to an Auxiliary Season permit for the same subunit.
- Applications to convert permits must be received by March 5th at 5pm CST or 11:59pm CST if by internet.
- A number of Auxiliary permits equal to the number of mountain lions remaining in the harvest limit for that subunit will be drawn (e.g., 2 permits will be converted if 2 mountain lions remain in the limit at the end of Season 1 for that subunit)
- Baiting and/or trapping is prohibited
- It is illegal to harvest a mountain lion with a spotted coat (kitten) or a mountain lion accompanying another mountain lion (likely a family group)
- Collared or ear tagged mountain lions may be harvested
For more information on mountain lions in Nebraska including sightings, research, management information and more, visit the mountain lion species page.