The Nebraska Game and Parks Commission is the arm of the Nebraska state government charged with managing the state’s fish, wildlife, park and outdoor recreation resources in the best long-term interests of the people and those resources. As such, much of how the Commission functions is outlined in state statute.
However, because the Commission oversees a wide variety of activities, it would be nearly impossible for the Legislature to address every situation with statutes. Therefore, the Commission has been granted the authority by the Legislature to establish orders, rules and regulations.
To establish rules and regulations, the Commission must give public notice, conduct a public hearing and then approve the new rules and regulations. Regulations become effective after they have been signed by the governor.
The creation of Commission orders was authorized by the Nebraska Legislature in 2013. To establish a Commission order, the Commission must also give public notice, conduct a public meeting and then vote to approve the new order. However, unlike with rules and regulations, orders take effect 15 days after approval. Commission orders are generally limited to defining species-specific open seasons, bag limits and size limits for hunting, fur-harvesting and fishing.
This page displays the current orders, rules and regulations. If you require a certified copy of any part of these Orders, Rules and Regulations, you can make a request to the Director of the Commission at: Nebraska Game and Parks Commission, 2200 N. 33rd Street, P.O. Box 30370, Lincoln, NE 68503-0370 or the Secretary of State, P.O. Box 94608, State Capitol, Lincoln, NE 68508-2022.
- Administration regulations
- Fisheries regulations
- Boating regulations
- Wildlife regulations
- Parks regulations
- Shooting ranges and hunter education regulations
Public Hearing Notices
- Proposed regulations are housed on the Nebraska Secretary of State website.
- Order C03: Antelope, Deer and Elk Hunting (adopted April 20, 2021; effective May 6, 2021)
- Order C06: Coot, Duck, Goose, and Crow Hunting (adopted March 17, 2021; effective April 2, 2021)
- Order C06: Sport Fishing (adopted October 15, 2020; effective October 31, 2020)
- Order C02: Wild Turkey (adopted October 15, 2020; effective October 31, 2020)
- Order C14: Mountain Sheep (adopted August 28, 2020; effective September 15, 2020)
- Order C03: Antelope, Deer and Elk Hunting (adopted May 8, 2020; effective May 23, 2020)
- Order C06: Coot, Duck, Goose, and Crow Hunting (adopted March 20, 2020; effective April 4, 2020)
- Order C05: Game Birds (not including turkey, coots and migratory waterfowl), Furbearers, Cottontail Rabbit and Squirrels (adopted March 15, 2019; effective March 30, 2019)