Schramm Education Center
Schramm Education Center is a state-of-the-art educational center that allows visitors to learn about Nebraska’s aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems through unique, interactive exhibits. Additionally, visitors can access the ponds, nature trails and historic fish hatchery at Schramm Park, located directly east of the facility. The center, formerly known as the Aksarben Aquarium, was newly renovated and expanded in 2019.
- Newly renovated and expanded aquariums featuring Nebraska’s natural aquatic habitats – cool water streams, rivers, reservoirs and farm ponds.
- Six smaller tanks focusing on some of Nebraska’s smaller, lesser-known fish species.
- Seventeen live animal tanks featuring Nebraska’s reptile and amphibian species.
- Educational nature center areas including a reading nook, maker’s space, bird watching area and pre-school play area.
- Interactive activities including digital topographical map, interactive wayfinding maps, touch screens focusing on the species of the area.
- Virtual reality mountain biking experience where visitors will have the opportunity to “ride” the trails on an actual bike.
Permit office open 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. daily
Education Center open 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. daily
Adults (age 13 and up): $10
Children (age 4-12): $7
Seniors: (age 60 and up) $7
Children age 3 and under: Free
Annual family pass
- Cost: $100
- Valid for one year through the month of purchase
- Pass must be purchased in person at Schramm Education Center
- Covers unlimited entry for one adult bearer, one additional adult, and any children living in the same household
- At least one adult cardholder must be present and provide identification to use the pass
- Additional family members/visitors that exceed the 2 adults and children in the same household will need to pay full admission
- Family pass is non-refundable and non-transferable. Misuse may result in forfeiture. Prices and benefits of family pass are subject to change.
Public park programs
Nebraska’s Venture Parks, which includes Schramm Education Center, hosts free monthly programs and special events.
The Venture Park Naturalist Team is stationed throughout the four Venture Parks to provide learning opportunities for our guests. Naturalists are people who love the outdoors and are passionate about discovering, exploring and sharing the joys of nature with you. It is our goal to inspire appreciation and knowledge of natural and cultural resources while promoting greater understanding, support for and participation in conservation and outdoor recreation.
Schramm Education Center hosts programming during the spring, fall and winter for school break time. It’s a great way to spend a day off school. Fight boredom and screen-time with fun, healthy, educational activities!
This monthly program, designed for children ages 2 to 5 and their adult caregiver, will bring nature themes to life for your child through story time, sensory activities, crafts, and outdoor exploration! The program takes place on the first Wednesday of each month from 9 to 10 a.m. and 10 – 11 a.m.
Cost to participate: $4 per child, $5 per adult, family pass members participate free. No advance registration required. Cost includes admission to the Education Center after the program.
Explore Schramm Park SRA with us every third Wednesday of each month from 9-10:30 a.m. and every third Thursday of each month from 2-3:30 p.m. Join a naturalist for a guided hike with other homeschool families. Each month we will focus on a different topic as we hike in the forest. We encourage families to RSVP in advance through our Google Form.
Cost to participate: $4 per child, $5 per adult, family pass members participate free. Cost includes admission to the Education Center after the program.
Field trips, group visits and rentals
Schramm Education Center offers a full range of field trip programs for a variety of groups and audiences. From school field trips with curriculum aligned to state science standards to naturalist programs that allow you to explore nature and outdoor skills, our programming offers immersive experiences indoors and out.
Field trips are taught by dedicated education staff trained in science, environmental and outdoor education. You can also opt to schedule self-guided exploration time in the Schramm Education Center and Schramm Park State Recreation Area with your group.
Looking for a place to hold an event? Our classroom is also available for rental! From birthday parties to meetings, family reunions, and baby showers, your guests can enjoy your event while surrounded by the sights and sounds of nature at Schramm Park.
How to reserve
To schedule a field trip, group visit or facility rental, contact us in one of the following ways:
- Fill out our Reservation Request Google Form.
- Email one of the Outdoor Education Specialists.
- For field trips (schools, homeschools, daycares, summer camps, daycares, senior centers, etc.) or classroom/facility rentals, contact Jen Ruyle at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For community groups (scouts, 4-H, partner organizations) or Venture Park Region education, please contact Kelly Ekue at email@example.com.
- Call our education line: 402-332-5022.
Like and follow us on social media to hear about events and happenings at Schramm Education Center!
A park entry permit is required to visit state parks and may be purchased at the park, statewide Game and Parks offices and permit vendors, or in advance of your arrival online. View those fees, as well as attraction and amenity pricing.