Schramm Education Center is a state-of-the-art educational center that allows visitors to learn about Nebraska’s aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems through unique, interactive exhibits. Additionally, visitors can access the ponds, nature trails and historic fish hatchery at Schramm Park, located directly east of the facility. The center, formerly known as the Aksarben Aquarium, was newly renovated and expanded in 2019.
The Schramm Education Center features:
- Newly renovated and expanded aquariums featuring Nebraska’s natural aquatic habitats – cool water streams, rivers, reservoirs and farm ponds.
- Six smaller tanks focusing on some of Nebraska’s smaller, lesser-known fish species.
- Seventeen live animal tanks featuring Nebraska’s reptile and amphibian species.
- Educational nature center areas including a reading nook, maker’s space, bird watching area and pre-school play area.
- Interactive activities including digital topographical map, interactive wayfinding maps, touch screens focusing on the species of the area.
- Virtual reality mountain biking experience where visitors will have the opportunity to “ride” the trails on an actual bike.
Hours and location
Permit office open 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. daily
Education Center open 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. daily
Address: Schramm Education Center | 21502 West Highway 31 | Gretna, NE 68028
Located on Highway 31, approximately 6 miles south of Exit 432 on I-80
Phone: Main Line 402-332-3901, Education Line 402-332-5022
General Email Inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have questions about field trips, group visits, or facility rentals, please contact one of the Outdoor Education Specialists listed in the Field Trips and Group Visits section below.
Adults (age 13 and up): $10
Children (age 4-12): $7
Seniors: (age 60 and up) $7
Children age 3 and under: Free
Annual family pass (Includes 2 adults & up to 3 children or grandchildren): $100
Field trips, Group Visits, and Rentals
Schramm Education Center offers a full range of field trip programs for a variety of groups and audiences. From school field trips with curriculum aligned to state science standards to naturalist programs that allow you to explore nature and outdoor skills, our programming offers immersive experiences indoors and out.
Field trips are taught by dedicated education staff trained in science, environmental and outdoor education. You can also opt to schedule self-guided exploration time in the Schramm Education Center and Schramm Park State Recreation Area with your group.
Looking for a place to hold an event? Our classroom is also available for rental! From birthday parties to meetings, family reunions, and baby showers, your guests can enjoy your event while surrounded by the sights and sounds of nature at Schramm Park.
For more information regarding education programs, field trips, group visits, and rentals, please download our program guide below.
How to Schedule a Reservation
- Fill out our Reservation Request Google Form.
- Email one of the Outdoor Education Specialists. For field trips (schools, homeschools, daycares, summer camps, daycares, senior centers, etc.) or classroom/facility rentals, contact Jen Ruyle at email@example.com. For community groups (scouts, 4-H, partner organizations) or Venture Park Region education, please contact Kelly Ekue at Kelly.Ekue@nebraska.gov.
- Call our education line: 402-332-5022
Like and Follow Us on Social Media!