The expanded and fully renovated Schramm Education Center is nearly open! Opening in late spring of 2019, the state-of-the-art Schramm Education Center, formerly known as the Aksarben Aquarium, will allow visitors to learn about Nebraska’s aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems through unique, interactive exhibits. Additionally, visitors can access the ponds, nature trails and historic fish hatchery at Schramm Park, located directly east of the facility.
The Schramm Education Center will feature:
- Newly renovated and expanded aquariums featuring Nebraska’s natural aquatic habitats – cool water streams, rivers, reservoirs and farm ponds.
- Six smaller tanks focusing on some of Nebraska’s smaller, lesser-known fish species.
- Seventeen live animal tanks featuring Nebraska’s reptile and amphibian species.
- Educational nature center areas including a reading nook, maker’s space, bird watching area and pre-school play area.
- Interactive activities including digital topographical map, interactive wayfinding maps, touch screens focusing on the species of the area.
- Virtual reality mountain biking experience where visitors will have the opportunity to “ride” the trails on an actual bike.
Adults (age 13 and up): $10
Children (age 4-12): $7
Seniors (age 60 and up)$7
Children age 3 and under: Free
Educators seeking information on field trips can call Susie Bliss at 402-332-3901 or email Susie.firstname.lastname@example.org. Field trips will likely not start until May 1.
Hours and location
Closed for renovations
Address: Schramm Education Center | 21502 West Highway 31 | Gretna, NE 68028
Located on Highway 31, approximately 6 miles south of Exit 432 on I-80