The expanded and fully renovated Schramm Education Center is open! The state-of-the-art Schramm Education Center, formerly known as the Aksarben Aquarium, allows visitors to learn about Nebraska’s aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems through unique, interactive exhibits. Additionally, visitors can access the ponds, nature trails and historic fish hatchery at Schramm Park, located directly east of the facility.
The Schramm Education Center features:
- Newly renovated and expanded aquariums featuring Nebraska’s natural aquatic habitats – cool water streams, rivers, reservoirs and farm ponds.
- Six smaller tanks focusing on some of Nebraska’s smaller, lesser-known fish species.
- Seventeen live animal tanks featuring Nebraska’s reptile and amphibian species.
- Educational nature center areas including a reading nook, maker’s space, bird watching area and pre-school play area.
- Interactive activities including digital topographical map, interactive wayfinding maps, touch screens focusing on the species of the area.
- Virtual reality mountain biking experience where visitors will have the opportunity to “ride” the trails on an actual bike.
Adults (age 13 and up): $10
Children (age 4-12): $7
Seniors: (age 60 and up) $7
Children age 3 and under: Free
Annual family pass (Includes 2 adults & up to 3 children or grandchildren): $100
Schramm Education Center offers a full range of field trips with dedicated curriculum aligned to state standards for each grade. Field trips offer students an immersive experience with hands-on, minds-on lessons taught in both the newly renovated center as well as in the outdoors.
Field trips are nearly always 2-hours in length and are taught by dedicated education staff trained in science, environmental and outdoor education.
Field Trip Fees:
Students – $4/student for a 2-hour program
Teachers/Adults – $5/person for a 2-hour program
Schramm Education Center also offers self-guided programs, 30-minute naturalist presentations and live animal programs.
For more information regarding field trips, please please download our field trip program guide below.
For questions or to book a program, please contact Kelly Ekue at 402-332-5022 or email Kelly.Ekue@nebraska.gov.
Hours and location
9 a.m. – 5 p.m. daily
Address: Schramm Education Center | 21502 West Highway 31 | Gretna, NE 68028
Located on Highway 31, approximately 6 miles south of Exit 432 on I-80
Phone: 402-332-5022, Email: email@example.com