The Nebraska Game and Parks Commission is the arm of the Nebraska state government charged with managing the state’s fish, wildlife, park and outdoor recreation resources in the best long-term interests of the people and those resources. As such, much of how the Commission functions is outlined in state statute.
However, because the Commission oversees a wide variety of activities, it would be nearly impossible for the Legislature to address every situation with statutes. Therefore, the Commission has been granted the authority by the Legislature to establish orders, rules and regulations.
To establish rules and regulations, the Commission must give public notice, conduct a public hearing and then approve the new rules and regulations. Regulations become effective after they have been signed by the governor.
The creation of Commission orders was authorized by the Nebraska Legislature in 2013. To establish a Commission order, the Commission must also give public notice, conduct a public meeting and then vote to approve the new order. However, unlike with rules and regulations, orders take effect 15 days after approval. Commission orders are generally limited to defining species-specific open seasons, bag limits and size limits for hunting, fur-harvesting and fishing.
This page displays the current orders, rules and regulations. If you require a certified copy of any part of these Orders, Rules and Regulations, you can make a request to the Director of the Commission at: Nebraska Game and Parks Commission, 2200 N. 33rd Street, P.O. Box 30370, Lincoln, NE 68503-0370 or the Secretary of State, P.O. Box 94608, State Capitol, Lincoln, NE 68508-2022.
- Administration regulations
- Fisheries regulations
- Boating regulations
- Wildlife regulations
- Parks regulations
- Campground regulations
- Shooting ranges and hunter education regulations
- Proposed regulations are housed on the Nebraska Secretary of State website.
There are currently no proposed orders.
- Order C14: Mountain Sheep (adopted on Aug. 28, 2019; effective on Sept. 12, 2019)
- Order C03: Antelope, Deer and Elk Hunting (approved on April 24, 2019; effective on May 9, 2019)
- Order C05: Game Birds (not including turkey, coots and migratory waterfowl), Furbearers, Cottontail Rabbit and Squirrels (adopted on March 15, 2019; effective on March 30, 2019)
- Order C06: Coot, Duck, Goose and Crow Hunting (adopted on March 15, 2019; effective on March 30, 2019)
- Order C06, Sport Fishing (adopted on Oct. 18, 2019; effective on Nov. 2, 2019)