In the event of a boating accident check to see if anyone is hurt and call 911 if medical assistance is needed.
After an accident has occurred the operator of a vessel involved in a collision, accident, or other casualty must give their name, address and identification of their vessel in writing to anyone injured and to any owner of damaged property.
The operator of every vessel involved in a boating accident is required to file a written report in duplicate, whenever a boating accident results in:
- Loss of life (report within 48 hours)
- Disappearance of a person (report within 48 hours)
- Loss of consciousness (report within 48 hours)
- Medical treatment/injury (report within 48 hours)
- Property damage in excess of $500 (report within 5 days)
Reports shall be submitted to:
Nebraska Game and Parks Commission
Lincoln, NE 68503.
The owner of a vessel is liable for any injury or damage caused by negligent operation of any powered vessel. The owner shall not be liable if the vessel is being used without the consent of the owner unless the operator is a member of his immediate family.