Aquatic Invasive Species Stamp
Beginning in 2016, all resident and non-resident boaters will be required to pay a fee to fund programs aimed at combating aquatic invasive species.
Boaters who register their motorized watercraft in Nebraska will be required to pay $5 in addition to their three-year boater registration fee. Boaters who register their motorized watercraft in any other state will be required to obtain a $15 Aquatic Invasive Species Stamp each year that they boat in Nebraska. This stamp is available for purchase online. A temporary stamp may be purchased at some state parks and recreation areas.
What must be registered
All vessels powered by any mechanical device capable of propelling the vessel over any public or private waters of Nebraska (including the Missouri River and Lewis and Clark Lake) must be registered, except the following:
- Motorboats registered in another state and housed in Nebraska less than 60 consecutive days
- Vessels owned by any government or political subdivision
- Racing-type motorboats when competing in state-approved races and during trial runs (48 hours prior to and after competition)
- Vessels documented by U.S. Coast Guard
Length of registration
Nebraska motorboat registrations are issued for three-year periods, expiring on December 31 of the third year. No motorboat may be operated after that date without the registration being renewed.
New registrations and renewals
Registration may be obtained only from the county treasurer in the boater’s county of residence. Boat owners may renew registration with the Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles or their county treasurer’s office.
Application for Boat Number & Certificate
View application for boat registration refund
Renew via Nebraska DMV
Registration Classifications and Fees
|Class 1||Vessels less than 16 feet in length and all canoes regardless of length||$23.00*|
|Class 2||Vessels 16 feet or over but less than 26 feet in length||$46.00*|
|Class 3||Vessels 26 feet or over but less than 40 feet in length||$67.50*|
|Class 4||Vessels 40 feet in length and over||$115.00*|
|Class 5||Dealers or manufacturers of motorboats for demonstration or testing purposes||$46.00*|
|Duplicate||To replace a lost or destroyed certificate||$5.00*|
* An additional $4 issuing fee is applied to all registrations listed above. Registration applications submitted after the beginning of any registration period for a motorboat not previously registered in Nebraska by the applicant will be reduced by 1/36 for each full month passed.