- Archery Range
- Food Service
- Trail Rides
Upcoming park events
Nebraska’s first state park, Chadron State Park was founded in 1921 and is nestled among the distinctive buttes and canyons of Nebraska’s Pine Ridge. Since its founding a century ago, it’s remained a popular spot for camping, family reunions and old-fashioned vacations where guests can escape and enjoy spending time in one of the state’s most famous landscapes. Chadron State Park is an especially great destination for hikers and mountain bikers. Hike-bike trails for all skill levels lace the park and adjoining Forest Service lands. Between the trails in the park and on the adjacent Nebraska National Forest, a hiker or biker will find more than 100 miles of beautiful trails and old roads suitable for a variety of experience levels.Make a Reservation
Chadron State Park offers six miles of hiking trails, and another four miles of mountain biking trails. The Park is adjacent to the Nebraska National forest, which offers more than 100 miles of trails and old roads suitable for a variety of experience levels.
Chadron State Park’s swimming pool offers visitors a beautiful view overlooking the pines. The pool is open Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day, with reduced hours beginning in mid-August. Lifeguards are on duty.
Anglers will find trout both in Chadron Creek and in the park lagoon.
For more information on fishing opportunities here and at parks across the state, visit the interactive public fishing areas map. This map provides detailed information on available species, regulations, public boat ramps, fish cleaning stations and ADA-accessible boat ramps and docks , among other features in reservoirs, lakes, streams and rivers statewide. Lake contour maps are available for some lakes, as well.
The park offers paddle boats, archery, tennis and sand volleyball courts, horseshoe pits, softball field, playgrounds, historical programs, disc golf course, winter sledding hill, evening programs, trail rides, and a trading post. The horseback trail rides are for visitors age 6 or older. These are available Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day, with reduced hours beginning in mid-August. The trading post has a craft center, snack bar, hatchet throwing, gift shop and more. It is open Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day, with reduced hours beginning in mid-August Additionally, the park has picnic shelters that can be reserved.
Chadron State Park offers reservations for cabins and half of the electrical campsites up to one year in advance. The remaining campsites are available first-come, first-serve. Guests can plan vacations, check for availability and make their reservations online 24 hours a day, seven days a week or can call the Nebraska State Parks reservation call center at 402-471-1414, Monday through Friday between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m.
Make a reservation
- Fort Robinson State Park: Stunning Fort Robinson State Park comprises more than 22,000 acres of exquisite Pine Ridge scenery, compelling old west history, exceptional lodging, scenic camping and the park’s own buffalo and longhorn herds.
- Agate Fossil Beds National Monument: Agate Fossil Beds National Monument is one of the world’s most significant Miocene Epoch mammal sites. Several fossils can be found in exhibits along some of the monument’s trails. Exhibits in the visitor center contain a few real fossils and many plastic resin replicas.
- Nebraska National Forest and Grasslands: Nebraska National Forest and Grasslands offers a combination native ponderosa pine forest, hand-planed forest and mixed grass.
- Pine Ridge National Recreation Area: Pine Ridge National Recreation Area provides 6600 acres of Ponderosa pine mountains, trails and primitive camping.
- Toadstool Geologic Park: The national park showcases the unique rock formations of the area, including many shaped like toadstools.
- Museum of the Fur Trade: The Museum of the Fur Trade is dedicated to preserving the rich history of the North American fur trade and stands on the site of James Bordeaux’s trading post which was established for the American Fur Company in 1837.
- Black Hills: Chadron State Park is just a short drive from the Black Hills and the many attractions offered in this popular tourist area.
Address: Chadron State Park | 15951 Hwy 385 | Chadron, NE 69337-7353
(9 miles south of Chadron)
Phone: (308) 432-6167
Email: Send email