The National Weather Service (NWS) recommends that if a weather emergency occurs, campers should seek shelter in a substantial building or hard-topped vehicle and wait for 30 minutes after the storm before resuming activities. The NWS advises not to remain in tents, campers, pop-up trailers, or other similar camp units during severe weather. Advanced preparation such as becoming aware of local radio stations or other means of monitoring weather conditions should be part of every camping trip. To learn more about becoming a weather-ready camper, visit the NWS website at www.weather.gov
The Nebraska Game & Parks Commission continues to work to recover from this historic flooding in 2019 that affected parks in many regions of the state. A continued high water table in 2020 in some areas and local rainfall can make roads impassable. We appreciate your patience in these areas.
Roads on several state wildlife management areas (WMAs) have been closed or partially closed because of poor conditions. County roads leading to the areas also may be closed.
These closures are due to 2019 flooding and continued high water table in some areas. The Nebraska Game and Parks Commission continues to work with local authorities to get vehicle access to these areas.
The affected WMAs are:
- Randal W. Schilling, Cass County
- Goose Lake, Holt County
- Peru Boat Ramp, Nemaha County
- South Pine, Brown County
- Twin Lakes, Rock County
- Defair Lake, Grant County
- Cottonwood/Steverson and Big Alkali, Cherry County
- Bufflehead and Kea West, Buffalo County
- Loup River Public Power District and Don Dworack, Nance County
- Bazile Creek and Niobrara Confluence, Knox County
- Parshall Bridge, Boyd County
- Spencer Dam, Holt County
Lower Platte South NRD will begin required maintenance to the top of the dam at North Oak 1-A, also known as Wildwood Lake. The work involves some re-grading to the top of the dam structure. Wildwood lake is owned by the NRD, but managed by the Nebraska Game & Parks Commission. It is located three miles South of Valparaiso, and is a popular recreation area. The construction work is scheduled to begin May 28, 2020 and will be completed by approximately June 16, 2020.
During this time period of work please note:
· The South entrance road, below the dam, near NW 84th & Little Salt Creek Road will be closed.
· Foot access to the dam will be prohibited.
· No fishing from the dam will be allowed.
For questions on the work please contact Mike Murren at the NRD office, 402-476-2729.
The following park areas remain partially open, but specific campgrounds or other areas are closed due to flooding. Please call 402-471-0641 for further details.
- Dead Timber SRA: Access available via County Road B off U.S. Hwy. 275. Portions of the SRA remain walk-in only, and no vehicle traffic is allowed beyond any barricades.
- Indian Cave State Park: The boat ramp is closed temporarily due to impacts from the rising Missouri River water flows in the area. The cave steps are temporarily closed due to heavy rainfall in the area. However, the cave may be viewed from the road.
- Louisville: River View area, riverfront trails, and boat ramp/canoe launch areas remain closed until further notice.
- Cowboy Trail: View Interactive Trail Map
- Two Rivers SRA: Cottonwood Campground is temporarily closed.
The following park areas will remain closed until further notice:
- Lied Bridge
- Riverview Marina SRA
The following areas have accessibility issues as a result of recent flooding. This may mean portions of the area are underwater or the roadways leading to the area are impassible. Those who wish to visit any of the below WMAs should use good judgement, check ahead or call the local district office for more details on areas within specific districts.
Northwest District WMAs closed/partially closed as of 12/16/19
- Big Alkali Lake WMA – No cabin or RV pad rentals available; concession store is closed; boat ramp now is open. Primitive camping available.
- Cottonwood/Steverson Lakes WMA
Northeast District WMAs closed/partially closed as of 12/16/19
- Loup Public Power District WMA- roads in poor condition
- Black Island WMA – walk-in access only
- Parshall Bridge WMA
- Spencer Dam WMA
Southeast District WMAs closed/partially closed as of 12/16/19
- Randall W. Schilling WMA- closed until further notice
- Peru Bottoms WMA – closed until further notice
- Peru Boat Ramp WMA- closed until further notice
- Tobacco Island WMA- closed until further notice
- Kansas Bend WMA- closed until further notice
Hunters can expect additional flooding on southeast Nebraska WMAs located along the Missouri River. Caution should be used when accessing any WMA in southeastern Nebraska due to washed out roads.
Southwest District WMAs closed as of 12/16/19
- Bufflehead WMA
- Kea West WMA