The National Weather Service (NWS) recommends that if a weather emergency occurs, campers should seek shelter in a substantial building or hard-topped vehicle and wait for 30 minutes after the storm before resuming activities. The NWS advises not to remain in tents, campers, pop-up trailers, or other similar camp units during severe weather. Advanced preparation such as becoming aware of local radio stations or other means of monitoring weather conditions should be part of every camping trip. To learn more about becoming a weather-ready camper, visit the NWS website at www.weather.gov
The Nebraska Game & Parks Commission continues to work to recover from this historic flooding in 2019 that affected parks in many regions of the state. A continued high water table in 2020 in some areas and local rainfall can made some roads impassable.
Roads on several state wildlife management areas (WMAs) have been closed or partially closed because of poor conditions. County roads leading to the areas also may be closed.
These closures are due to 2019 flooding and continued high water table in some areas. The Nebraska Game and Parks Commission continues to work with local authorities to get vehicle access to these areas.
The affected WMAs are:
- Randal W. Schilling, Cass County
- Goose Lake, Holt County
- Peru Boat Ramp, Nemaha County
- South Pine, Brown County
- Twin Lakes, Rock County
- Defair Lake, Grant County
- Cottonwood/Steverson and Big Alkali, Cherry County
- Bufflehead and Kea West, Buffalo County
- Loup River Public Power District and Don Dworack, Nance County
- Bazile Creek and Niobrara Confluence, Knox County
- Parshall Bridge, Boyd County
- Spencer Dam, Holt County
All park areas are open. Louisville River View Area is open with some limited access.
The following areas have accessibility issues as a result of recent flooding. This may mean portions of the area are underwater or the roadways leading to the area are impassible. Those who wish to visit any of the below WMAs should use good judgement, check ahead or call the local district office for more details on areas within specific districts.
Northwest District WMAs closed/partially closed as of 12/16/19
- Big Alkali Lake WMA – No cabin or RV pad rentals available; concession store is closed; boat ramp now is open. Primitive camping available.
- Cottonwood/Steverson Lakes WMA
Northeast District WMAs closed/partially closed as of 12/16/19
- Loup Public Power District WMA- roads in poor condition
- Black Island WMA – walk-in access only
- Parshall Bridge WMA
- Spencer Dam WMA
Southeast District WMAs closed/partially closed as of 12/16/19
- Randall W. Schilling WMA- closed until further notice
- Peru Bottoms WMA – closed until further notice
- Peru Boat Ramp WMA- closed until further notice
- Tobacco Island WMA- closed until further notice
- Kansas Bend WMA- closed until further notice
Hunters can expect additional flooding on southeast Nebraska WMAs located along the Missouri River. Caution should be used when accessing any WMA in southeastern Nebraska due to washed out roads.
Southwest District WMAs closed as of 12/16/19
- Bufflehead WMA
- Kea West WMA