The Nebraska Game & Parks Commission appreciates your patience as we work to recover from this historic weather event that has impacted parks in many regions of the state.
Individuals with advance reservations at areas impacted will be notified if the status of their reservation is affected as soon as we are able to complete assessments of the parks and services.
Weather closures are up to date as of September 6, 2019. Please check this page for updates on the status of park areas.
The following park areas remain partially open, but specific campgrounds or other areas are closed due to flooding. Please call 402-471-0641 for further details.
- Ash Hollow SHP: Portions of Ash Hollow State Historical Park are closed until further notice due to a large rain event across the region that has led to high waters across the main entrance of the park. Those areas generally east of Highway 26 are closed and those areas west of Highway 26 are open, but visitors are urged to use caution as standing water exists in all low lying areas. Park staff will continue to monitor water levels and will open these areas once conditions return to normal.
- Dead Timber SRA: Access available via County Road B off U.S. Hwy. 275. Portions of the SRA remain walk-in only, and no vehicle traffic is allowed beyond any barricades.
- Indian Cave State Park: cave road and boat ramp remain closed until further notice
- Louisville: River View area, riverfront trails, and boat ramp/canoe launch areas remain closed until further notice.
- Cowboy Trail
- Two Rivers SRA
- Sandy Channel: South half of the area is closed until further notice.
The following parks are open to the public, but are accessible by an alternate route. Please call 402-471-0641 for details.
- Merritt Reservior SRA (only accessible by HWY 97 from Valentine)
- Stagecoach SRA
The following park areas are closed until further notice.
- Pelican Point SRA
- Cottonwood Lake SRA
- Lied Bridge
(closed for the season)
- Riverview Marina SRA
The following areas have accessibility issues as a result of recent flooding. This may mean portions of the area are underwater or the roadways leading to the area are impassible. Those who wish to visit any of the below WMAs should use good judgement, check ahead or call the local district office for more details on areas within specific districts.
Northwest District WMAs closed/partially closed as of 11/1/19
- Big Alkali Lake WMA – Free Primitive camping spots are available – first come first serve; No cabin or RV pad rentals available; concession store is closed; boat ramp now is open. Primitive camping on west side is still available.
Northeast District WMAs closed/partially closed as of 11/1/19
- Loup Public Power District WMA- roads in poor condition
- Bazile Creek WMA- Boat ramp is closed; the rest of the area is open. Use caution due to high water.
- Goose Lake WMA-walk-in access only
- Black Island WMA – walk-in access only
- Niobrara Confluence WMA- walk-in access only
- Parshall Bridge WMA
- Spencer Dam WMA
Southeast District WMAs closed/partially closed as of 11/1/19
- Gifford Point Wildlife Management Area (WMA) – Remains closed to vehicle access. A little water is still running across road in one spot and several locations on road still have water puddles due to high water level. Hunters may access area by foot or bicycle.
- Randall W. Schilling WMA- closed until further notice
- Peru Bottoms WMA – closed until further notice
- Peru Boat Ramp WMA- closed until further notice
- Tobacco Island WMA- closed until further notice
- Kansas Bend WMA- closed until further notice
Hunters can expect additional flooding on southeast Nebraska WMAs located along the Missouri River. Caution should be used when accessing any WMA in southeastern Nebraska because of potentially dangerous water conditions.
Southwest District WMAs closed as of 11/1/19
- Bufflehead WMA
- Kea West WMA
Caution should be used when accessing any WMA’s in central and southwestern Nebraska due to potentially dangerous water conditions.