Family Fishing is a Nebraska Game and Parks program designed to help you make a family fishing adventure possible and rewarding. Family Fishing Nights occur across the state at Family Friendly Lakes, where you will find loaner fishing equipment, bait and staff to assist you. At these events, Game and Parks staff and Certified Fishing Instructors teach families the basics of this fun and relaxing activity.
2016 Family Fishing Night Schedule
All events are from 6-8 p.m., unless otherwise noted.
- April 12: North Platte, Iron Horse Lake
- April 16: Trenton, Swanson Reservoir State Recreation Area (SRA), 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
- April 25: Terrytown, Terry’s Pit, 5-7 p.m.
- May 8: Scottsbluff, Zoo Pond, 5-7 p.m.
- May 14: Cambridge, Medicine Creek Reservoir SRA, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
- May 24: Lincoln, Holmes Lake
- May 26: Papillion, Lake Halleck
- June 4: Kearney, Yanney Park, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
- June 7: Norfolk, TaHaZouka Park
- June 8: Omaha, Benson Park
- June 9: Lincoln, Oak Lake
- June 11: Hayes Center, Camp Hayes, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
- June 14: North Platte, Birdwood Wildlife Management Area
- June 14: Papillion, Walnut Creek Reservoir
- June 15: Lincoln, Bowling Lake
- June 16: Grand Island, Mormon Island SRA
- June 21: Lincoln, Holmes Lake
- June 22: Grand Island, Mormon Island SRA
- June 23: Kearney, Cottonmill Lake
- June 23: Omaha, Towl Park
- June 25: Lincoln, Branched Oak SRA
- June 29: LaVista, Prairie Queen Recreation Area
- June 30: Omaha, Carter Lake
- July 9: McCook, Red Willow Reservoir SRA, 9 a.m.-1 p.m.
- July 12: Lincoln, Oak Lake
- July 14: Norfolk, Skyview Lake
- July 14: Papillion, Lake Halleck
- July 15: Holdrege, City Park
- July 19: Omaha, Lake Zorinsky
- July 20: Lincoln, Bowling Lake
- July 22: Broken Bow, Melham Park
- July 28: Omaha, Benson Park
- Aug. 2: LaVista, Prairie Queen Recreation Area
- Aug. 3: Grand Island, Mormon Island SRA
- Aug. 4: Lincoln, Holmes Lake
- Aug. 5: North Platte, Iron Horse Lake
- Aug. 12: Kearney, Fort Kearny SRA
- Aug. 13: Trenton, Swanson Reservoir SRA, 9 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Aug. 14: Terrytown, Terry’s Pit, 5-7 p.m.
- Sept. 10: McCook, Barnett Park, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.; Sept. 11 – Scottsbluff, Zoo Pond, 5-7 p.m.
In addition, two Carp-O-Rama events are held each year. These events are intended for anglers of all ages interested in learning all aspects of carp fishing. Carp caught by anglers will be used in demonstrations on cleaning, preparing and cooking the fish. The cooked fish then will be served as a free lunch. Carp-O-Rama events take place from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Carp-0-Rama events scheduled in 2016 are:
- June 18: Branched Oak SRA
- July 16: Lake Maloney SRA